Saturday, September 17, 2011

2011, thus far

Nick Davis has beaten me to the punch, but before all the touted movies from the autumn come out, I thought I'd also list my favourites of the year so far. There are quirks on these lists: to make them more interesting, I'm intentionally excluding films that haven't received their UK release yet. So, though I'm already on record as having flipped for Vanessa Redgrave in Coriolanus, for instance, she'll have to wait until the year-end honours to get listed; ditto such other potential contenders as We Need to Talk About Kevin, The Deep Blue Sea, Wuthering Heights, Melancholia and Tyrannosaur (though I have seen all of those). The one exception I'm making is for Radu Muntean's Tuesday, After Christmas, on the basis that it doesn't, to my knowledge, even have a UK distributor, let alone a release date. And therefore needs all the help it can get. (Before you ask, I really do like Oldman in Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, but he came in sixth.)



BEST FILM

The Tree of Life
A Separation
Love Like Poison
Senna
Tuesday, After Christmas
Tomboy
Arrietty
Kill List
Ballast
Elite Squad: The Enemy Within







BEST ACTOR



Romain Duris (The Big Picture)
Tom Fisher (Treacle, Jr)
Brendan Gleeson (The Guard)
Peyman Mooadi (A Separation)
Adam Scott (Passenger Side)





BEST ACTRESS


Clara Augarde (Love Like Poison)
Zoé Héran (Tomboy)
Liana Liberato (Trust)
Mia Wasikowska (Jane Eyre)
Kristen Wiig (Bridesmaids)






BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

Tom Hardy (Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy)
Chris O’Dowd (Bridesmaids)
Jack O’Connell (Weekender)
Christopher Plummer (Beginners)
Hugo Weaving (Oranges and Sunshine)





BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS


Valeria De Franciscis Bendoni (The Salt of Life)
Sarina Farhadi (A Separation)
Mary Page Keller (Beginners)
Mirela Oprişor (Tuesday, After Christmas)
Maria Popistaşu (Tuesday, After Christmas)

3 comments:

Calum Reed said...

Absolutely with you on Liana Liberato. That girl is terrific. Also find myself in strange agreement with Tom Hardy as best-of-the-rest in "Tinker, Tailor.." -- the crying scene was especially honest.

I'm sad I missed "A Separation" when it was in cinemas but it should be on DVD before I make my year-end lists.

:-)

NicksFlickPicks said...

So delicious! Many of these names and films are new to me—or would be, if I hadn't read your reviews, but the reminders are helpful.

Love that over-achieving group of youngsters in Best Actress, and so glad to see Love Like Poison doing so brilliantly here.

Angel charls said...

Hi, I want to thank you for sharing this interesting information.
it's great that nowadays we have an opportunity to share our thoughts. it seems to me, blogs and online services are our future. One and good example
Garmin Bellen