Monday, February 06, 2006

Some recent reviews

For various reasons (different readerships and all) I'm sometimes a little shy about sticking the Telegraph reviews up here. But I've been quiet of late, so what the hell. Here's me bending over backwards to be fair (ish) to Walk the Line; losing myself in the sublimity of The New World, and delivering a bitch slap to Memoirs of a Geisha. Coming soon: Proof, which I've somehow managed to sit through twice. It's not all fun and games, this criticism thing...

2 comments:

Javier Aldabalde said...

"(Malick's) film explores questions of belonging, love as a form of ownership, and the inevitable awakening of proprietary instincts whenever two civilisations meet."

Wasn't this the subject of Peter Jackson's "King Kong" as well? Except that in Kong's case, these subjects were presented more as direct and unassuming connotations while Malick obviously explores them at a far deeper level. But deep down these movies seem to be toying with similar themes.

tim r said...

Dead right. I was toying with a comparison in the review but didn't have space. Sharp of you to spot that!